- Compare different liability and household insurance providers before you finalise one. Comparison portal
- Do not be alarmed by the promises made by insurance agents: most insurance policies (except household effects and liability) are not absolutely essential. Check whether all your insurance cover is necessary.
Health Insurance Cover
- If you are born in or have moved to Switzerland, you have three months within which to take out compulsory health insurance cover. You can freely choose your health insurance company from the list of approved insurers. NB: You are permitted a maximum of one compulsory health insurance policy! Therefore, make sure that you do not take out two basic insurance policies running simultaneously!
- Check whether you are entitled to a reduced premium for compulsory health insurance (available for insured persons in modest economic circumstances). To do so, contact the commune authorities where you live and ask where you can file the premium reduction application. Lower premiums for health insurance.
- Compare the health insurance premiums regularly, as the premiums change constantly. A comparison will help you to choose the cheapest insurance. Further info in German: Compare Premiums Online & Dschungelkompass
- The health insurance companies offer various savings models (HMO, Telmed, Flexcare, Family Doctor Model). These require special conditions to be met for benefit receipt, but offer attractive discounts on premiums.
- Choose the correct franchise. We categorically recommend the lowest franchise. You should choose a higher franchise only if you are sure that in case of illness you will also be able to pay the extra costs in accordance with the franchise.
- Before closing a supplementary insurance policy, think about whether you really need it. Mostly they are not necessary.
- Apply for reimbursement of the health insurance premium for insurance for military or community service that lasts longer than 60 days.
- Cancel the accident insurance with the health insurance company, if this insurance cover exists through the employer.
Life and Savings Insurance Cover
- Reconsider your life or savings insurance. Conclude a savings insurance only if you are absolutely sure that you can pay the premiums until the end of the contract. Further information in German: VZ Advice Section
Third-Party Insurance Cover
- Ensure that your insurance amount is appropriate. A glass insurance without valuable glass objects in the household, for example, is not worthwhile. In addition, you should limit the insurance to Switzerland, if you have no household contents abroad.
- Some insurance companies offer a so-called no-claims discount within their household contents insurance if for several years you have remained claim-free.
Automobile Insurance Cover
- Close one-year contracts. With short-term contracts, you fare better than with the small discounts that you get back for long-term contracts, because you can always benefit from new offers. For insurance companies that do not offer a one-year contract period, you can request the right to submit an annual termination.